[Coco] [Color Computer] Extended BASIC ROM and RAM upgrade for my COCO 1 (with 16KB)

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Sun May 5 08:40:44 EDT 2013

On Sun, May 5 2013, Neil Morrison wrote:

Honestly, your best bet is to look for a Coco 2 with Extended Basic.
> RAM upgrade in those is easy.

Indeed, that would be the way to go for someone not interested in the
exercise of taking an old CoCo through its paces to upgrade, and most
likely learn something about the process, just for "I did it" sake.

To unbonnevie:

Hang on there, help will come about. A couple of years back I got a 3004A
CoCo 1 with 16k and no ROM for cheap, posted a notice here and got a couple
of offers to have a proper Extended Color Basic EPROM programmed and sent
my way, for the memory chips I scavenged my parts bin - after many years of
tinkering I had the eight 4164 chips needed for the upgrade.

The RAM chips you can buy from Jameco:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_41662_-1

When you upgrade the RAM there are two jumpers you need to set to the
labeled "64k" position. Also caps C58, C60, C62, C64, C66, C68, C70 & C72
need to be removed - these are only present on the "F" board when it was
furnished with 16k RAM.

-- RP