[Coco] Fix It Felix retro style game (based on Donkey Kong style of play)

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Thu May 2 10:15:34 EDT 2013

On May 2, 2013, at 12:23 AM, Steve Bjork <6809er at srbsoftware.com> wrote:

> I've played the "Fix It Felix" game at Disneyland and found it wanting.  The controls were bad and play like a bad early 80's arcade game.  Trust me, there were a lot of bad games back then.  The good thing about the game it was free to play.

Something FREE at Disneyland?

> One game that would be easy to port using the vertical scroll technology used in Marty's Nightmare would be Crazy Climber.
> (See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJAEmOtLZHg)

Hmmm, I don't know if I ever saw a CoCo version of that. The dual joystick controls were what made that game. The home version (Atari?) I played still had much of the same feel. I recall playing a bootleg Donkey Kong (Crazy Kong) and bootleg Crazy Climber at a convenience store in Houston (1984?) and their cabinets had different joysticks -- more like Atari 2600 sticks. It made Crazy Climber much easier to play than the Wico-ball type sticks on the official.

So Steve -- if you were designing a Crazy Climber type game for the CoCo, what approach would you take for the controls?

(Crazy Climber was one of my favorite arcade games.)

		-- Allen