[Coco] SSC

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Wed May 1 13:28:17 EDT 2013

On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 06:01:42PM +0200, Simon Jonassen wrote:
> Have any of you guys ever programmed for the SSC ???? (speech sound
> cartridge)

It's pretty easy to make it talk, even from BASIC.  There's example
code in the manual that Tim just gave a URL to.

I've never done anything with the AY chip.

It should be mentioned that a hardware fix is required to run the
SSC at 2MHz. (Something about generating a -5 voltage from the Q clock
or something dreadful like that.)  See
http://webspace.webring.com/people/vt/theother_bob/coco_page/ssc_mod.htm
(and hit "stop" when the actual page loads or it'll get stolen from
you :-(.)

Or even better:
http://aaronwolfe.com/robert.gault/Coco/FAQs/SSC_hack.htm

There is also a driver under OS-9 (included in NitrOS9) for the
SSC. The descriptor is /ssp and the driver is sspak.dr but it also
only talks to the speech chip.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA