[Coco] Multi-Processor 6809 Computer System

Bill Gunshannon billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Wed May 1 08:31:22 EDT 2013

> I think we're straying from the original message of this thread.
>
> It seems to have evolved into an FPGA CoCo4. discussion.. again!
>
> I agree. Emulation through software or emulation through hardware
> (FPGA) such as the CoCo-X will yield a "CoCo" but a CoCo it won't be.
>
> But I'm not talking about emulation.
>
> I'm talking about upgrading the existing 6809 CPU *only*. Everything
> is the same, it's a 100% CoCo3 apart from the CPU.
>
> Just like upgrading the stock 6809 for a 6309. It's still a CoCo but
> with an upgraded CPU.
>
> Unfortunately, 6809/6309 only go so fast, hense why I have suggested
> building one that does go faster and FPGA (or equivalent) to be a good
> option... if that's possible.

Now that's something I would be interested in seeing.  I have long
been interested in what it would be like if some older processors
(PDP-11, VAX) could be fabbed using modern technology.  Just the
process shrink would yield a much faster CPU.  I never thought of
making a plug-compatable CPU with FPGA's but then, doing such is
way beyond my means.  If there was a 6809E compatable FPGA Module
I would find it extremely interesting.  Of course, one can only
increase the CPU clock speed.  All external access would have to
remain at the same speed as it already is.  But interesting, none
the less.

bill

billg999 at cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |