[Coco] CoCo Ethernet

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Wed Mar 27 14:41:09 EDT 2013

On 03/27/2013 10:43 AM, Allen Huffman wrote:
> What functionality would you want to see in a CoCo Ethernet adapter to make it worthwhile?
>
> It looks like basic TCP socket stuff is a given -- connect to a port, then read/write data. This would allow simple retrieval of web server files. You would basically do this:
>
> configure connection (IP address).
> connect
> print "GET /index.html"
> then loop, reading the returned data

Allen, my only thought on the matter is that I would like to see the
software compatible, as far as reasonable, with the networking software
we already have with DriveWire.  There are various levels on which the
compatibility could occur, but you might consider making it mimic the DW
API.  If you and Aaron could work together on establishing a single
standard for networking on the CoCo, it would encourage others to write
compatible software.

Right now I can 'dw server list
ftp://os9archive.rtsi.com/os9/somethingorother.lzh
 >somethingorother.lzh', which isn't bad.  There was once a 'wget'
command that worked with an older version of the DW4 server.  But it
would be easy to write a new one in C, assembler, or even Basic09 that
would add a layer of polish and ease of use.  Wouldn't it be nice if the
same front-end program could work with DW4 and a forthcoming ethernet
adapter?  Why not just make it take 'dw' commands?  That way people who
are, say, working on a crude web trawler in Basic09, can work with DW4
that exists now, and have it just work with your system when it is
available.  There's something to be said for plugging in to a ready-made
software base, especially in an environment as small as the CoCosphere.

JCE