[Coco] Introducing the next generation of Color Computer, the CoCo-X

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Wed Mar 20 23:10:16 EDT 2013

On 03/20/2013 09:09 PM, Mark McDougall wrote:
> On 21/03/2013 6:44 AM, Frank Pittel wrote:

>> I agree that in the long run vga is a dead end.
> VGA is of course much easier to implement than DVI/HDMI. For the former
> you simply need some sort of DAC (resistor network or video DAC) but for
> the latter you require a transceiver chip (with its clocking and support
> circuitry) and it usually requires some sort of power-up configuration via
> a serial link.
>
> I would concur that VGA is well and truly on the way out. Having said that
> though, this is a hobbyist project and all those "useless" VGA monitors
> are probably going to land on some hobbyists desk so... a good match?
>
> Regards,

Exactly.  When I got my Raspberry Pi, I had to boot it first on
composite video because I didn't have one thing in the house that had
HDMI, though I've got literally stacks of VGA monitors of all
descriptions.  I finally parted with significant cash to get a stupid
adapter and a cable so that I could hook it up to a monitor with DVI.
By significant cash, I mean that I almost could have gotten another
Raspberry Pi.  I know I could have gotten it cheaper if I was willing to
wait for something to be shipped from China, but I guess ultimately it
was worth it not to have to wait that long.

Obsolete is good.  It means available at thrift stores for thrift store
prices, or in my basement for free.

JCE