[Coco] OT Linux question

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Wed Mar 20 07:05:19 EDT 2013

For the most part I agree with what you're saying. In fact the only thing I disagree with is your
referring to the increase in the size of distributions as being a problem! I think that the increase
in the size of a linux distribution is a good thing and is the result of a lot more software being
available! I've been using linux now since the early '90s and even then installed from a cd.
Installing from floppy may have been possible but would have used a LOT of them! I'm not fond of the
M$ look and feel a lot of distros are leaning towards but can live with it! Far better to deal with
KDE or GNOME as it is (never thought I'd say that about the current version of gnome) then have to go
back to the good old days of editing X config files by hand! How many remember the days of
calculating "dot clocks", etc, etc! Personally I don't miss it and would gladly give up 30-40MB of
disk space for an X config app or three!

I also like having most of the software I would ever want to use available to me on a DVD or two. I
do miss having control over what got installed but for at least the last ten years have just
installed everything by default. There's a lot of free space on the multi terabytes of disk that I
have!!!  As others have pointed out for those that want (or need) a linux distribution that will fit in a
small disk there are a number available.

Remember a "modern" linux distribution is more than just the OS. It has most if not all of the
software you'll need. It's not comparable to windows unless you consider windows combined with
office, outlook, quicken, gimp, at least a C and C++ compiler, mysql, etc, etc, etc. After that add 3-4
extra word-processors and spreadsheets and other development libraries just to give the users a little
extra choice.

The Other Frank

PS - sorry about the soapbox style rant but than again I remember when DOS fit on a single 360K
floppy! :-) Also as I go back and reread what I wrote only the first couple of sentences are in reply
to Bill's post. The rest is just my commentary on the "linux has gotten to bloated" turn this thread
has taken.