[Coco] 2 wasted cpus?

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Sat Mar 9 09:15:58 EST 2013

If the labeling is wrong and the CPUs are 6809 instead of 6809E, that
would be the problem. I wouldn't call that a "pull", I'd call it a
quality control reject. Nothing wrong with it as it's a fully functional
chip, but Jameco should have been supplied with the information and sold
it as the correct part with a note that it's mislabeled.

The original 6809 is the 1MHz chip (some later ones might be labeled
68A09), B = 2MHz, C = 3MHz, and had the built in oscillator (crystal).
There was a packaging label of P (plastic) or C (ceramic) at the end on
some. Early ones didn't have this as all were plastic, IIRC. Of course
MC was the Id for Motorola manufactured chips. The Hitachi 6309 may have
MC as well, since Hitachi was an official "second source" for Motorola.
I don't recall if they had MC or the Hitachi code (which I don't recall
either!) in front of the 6309.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine