[Coco] So is this a G board?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jun 28 13:02:52 EDT 2013

On Friday 28 June 2013 12:32:29 Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) did opine:

> I noticed my "fix" over the mc1372:
>
> https://twitter.com/RetroCanada76/status/350464954366836736
>
> is different from this:
>
> http://www.doki-doki.net/~lamune/computers/coco/26-3003b/P2223732.html
>
> Are they equivalent ?

Thanks to the yellowed spaghetti, I can't tell.

WRT the discussed problem. I think the scope is going to be what it takes.

In my 60 years, I have seen several chips fail in a manner that had to be a
poor bonding, or a half failure of the output pins pull down ability.

When the scope is DC coupled, and its worthless for this if its not, set
the ground trace position on a graticle line near the bottom of the screen,
and a sensitivity of about .5 volts per large division.  Any signal that
doesn't exceed 3.0 volts when high is suspect, but you'll need to visually
ignore the tri-state times where the signal can be seen to take a curved
ramp upward.  Conversely, and this is what I would look even more carefully
at, is a low signal whose low time is not well below .3 volts, thats a bad
one.  Most ttl outputs can pull down to .1 volts, so you have a good "noise
margin".

When a logic 1 is to be sent, the ttl input threshold to guarantee that it
is a logic 1 is usually said to be anything above 2.4 volts, and to get
that same noise margin, the signal itself needs to be at 3.0 volts or more.

Flat, level for a half microsecond signals indicate that an active output
is pulling it up or down as the case may be.  Those signals that meet that
timing criteria, but are not well below .4 volts, or above 3.0 volts,
should be traced on down to the chip sourcing that signal, and the chip
pulled, a socket and a new chip installed.  If that doesn't fix it to have
the proper voltage swings, then trace toward the load pins its driving,
comparing them all as I have found board traces that go through a through
hole that didn't solder well, and I have found quite a few of those by
comparing the source signal to the destination point and could see the loss
of swing at the other end of the trace run.  It may also indicate a blown
input to that gate in the chip, in which case pull, add socket and replace
with a fresher chip.

This is all made much much easier to do if you have a hot air rework
station.  I do, and I know Mark has more than 1, but they aren't that
common, and are not sold at the shack.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
I watch television because you don't know what it will do if you leave it
in the room alone.
         law-abiding citizens.