[Coco] The perfect mas storage for the coco

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Jun 26 12:50:59 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 26 June 2013 12:33:48 T. Franklin did opine:

> A little further investigation... These are all over E-Bay. They run
> from $30 to $80 US. Do a search for Floppy Emulator. Most come out of
> China. They all look different but have a common theme and from what I
> can tell, the same PCB inside. The one I bouth looks to have the same
> (or close to) PCB as the IPCas one which Steve state sells for $300+. I
> found one selling in the US and bought it just for kicks. I does
> require special format software (free download).
>
> Perhaps someone can tell me how to configure the CoCo to run a 1.4K
> floppy with 512 byte/sec floppy? If it can be done.

It hasn't been done primarily because rbf.mn is so well married to the
concept of a sector being 1 byte (256 bytes) sized.  There are some
workaround hidden in some of the drivers for hard drives by buffering the
whole 512 bytes, then handing os9 the first, or last half of that buffer
for data depending on the odd/even status of the address being used.

It has not to my knowledge ever been moved to the floppy drivers as it adds
quite a bit of essentially duplicated code, and in any event the WD17X3 FDC
chip cannot run at the higher baud rates required, its stuck at 256
kilobaud maximum.

That leaves the same choice that the Amiga's faced with an FDC chip unable
to run at the higher baud rates, slow the drive down in order to pack more
bits per inch of track in.  In the 3.5" drives, the fact that the drive and
disk are mechanically synchronized by the pin drive in the disc hub is the
only thing that made it even worth trying because the only drive ever made
to run that slow by Chinon could be seen to be visibly 'cogging' as it
turned, which if applied to the non locked 5.25" format would have had the
data rate wobbling by an octave or more in the worst case non synched
condition.  I don't care how much thrust you use, that pig isn't going to
fly in terms of error rates.

If WD had ever applied the shrinks to get the WD1773 up to a magabaud data
rate, we would not be having this discussion.  The end result today of
course is either 1 or more hard drives, or drivewire 4, or both.  Paranoid,
I have 2 HD's and drivewire.