[Coco] The perfect mas storage for the coco

Steve 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Wed Jun 26 11:42:06 EDT 2013

Matt's (and others) are designing a replacement for the F.D.C cartridge
that will work (better) for CoCo.

About two years ago, I was working on a design using a PIC chip to
emulate the the Western Digital floppy disk controller used in the
CoCo.  While I never got past the breadboard stage, it did show the
following...

1) Disk BASIC (and OS-9) could used it without any patching.

2) Even nonstandard (protected) formats will work.  (All Tandy & SRB
Software protected software would load without any patching.)

3) Improved data transfer speeds. Even faster than DriveWire since the
data is sent into the CoCo by the way of bytes, not bits.

4) OS-9 drivers could even read/write faster with drivers using extended
I/O interface that does not use the halt line.

The units that emulate the Floppy Disk Drive unit are not much faster
than a real Floppy since the data still much go through F.D.C with all
its I/O overhead.  Yes, there is no wait for seeking the track or
sector.  But still slower than DriveWire.

The key to the F.D.C. emulator is the data format on the SD card. If it
truly understands the track format of the floppy then any types of disk
can emulate for the CoCo.  Be it single or double sided, size of the
sectors, number of sectors will work.

In my design, I used Track Format file that held the format type for the
Floppy disk. (The data stored on the floppy would be in other files.)
Most type files were simple with only one track format in the file.  An
OS-9 boot disk could have few tracks in a standard DECB format with the
balance in the extended OS-9 I/O format.  While this not the standard
.DSK format used by CoCo emulators, a translator program could convert
the data to this new format.

I've already talk to Matt in the past and told him that he is welcome to
use my research and any help he wants.

This would be a very good Kickstarter or Indiegogo type of project for
the CoCo community.

Steve