[Coco] COCO Video

john dumas JohnDumas at austin.rr.com
Tue Jun 25 07:18:57 EDT 2013

On 6/24/2013 9:25 PM, Mike Pepe wrote:
> John- what other methodologies were used to prototype ICs at Mot during that
> time, if there was no traditional breadboarding being used?
Classic Stone Age.
1-Logic simulators for sections, or even complete chips.
     [The logic was _tiny_ compared to today's chips!]
    To sim MOS, we first used 3 state, then 5 state simulators,
    which would better model the states that mos xistors could
     produce: i.e. 1, 0, floating, "soft 1", and "soft 0".
2-TTL breadboards.
3-Time Domain Analysis - Similar to xistor emulation in Spice.

#1 & #2 to verify the logic; #3 to size devices to correct electrical
characteristics.

Much later HDL was used to simulate (and create) the larger
chips. When I retired in '99, the HDL design was being implemented
in FPGAs to check out functionality before releasing to production.
And, of course, the entire design cycle was CAD from spec to chip,
no more typing pool to do the specs, no hand drawn logic diagrams,
and (thank gawd) no more ruby to peel, check and patch with tape!
[hoping the database - on punch cards - got updated! Many horror
stories there........]

cheers,
johnd

\