[Coco] CoCo monstrosity |was: [OT] Atari 8-bit video card

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Tue Jun 18 02:56:54 EDT 2013

T. Franklin,
I just looked at your fine SoCoCo-80 project and it looks very nice indeed!
I have been playing around with the idea of using a V9958 Yamaha VDP chip
myself to create an Accelerated Video Graphics card with VGA capability for
the Coco.  I knew the graphics sections of DECB would need to be totally
overhauled as well, not to mention NitrOS-9.  But since I had never made a
PCB at that point in time, I opted to put this project on hold until  I had
much more design and programming experience.  I still want to give the Cocos
a much needed upgraded graphics display on a real monitor.  I'd like to see
what you have done so far and help you in any way I can.
I built a simple 6-chip 6809 based computer that actually uses a scaled down
version of Extended Color Basic.  The author stripped out all the graphics,
sound and cassette commands since they were not needed for his serial I/O
only project.  A link to my version of his prototype on my web page follows.

I'd like to add a VGA compatible Video Graphics Display of some sort to this
project someday along with all the needed graphics commands.  I just have
not decided on which one.  At one point I had also thought of using the F18A
Video Controller but at $90, it is a little out of my reach at this point.
I'm finding that it is much more fun to create my own version of things I
come across and include them as one of many PCB projects I'm working on.  :)
Your SoCoCo-80  project has sparked great interest in me.  I really would
like to make my own prototype of your project and test it along with your
prototyping development efforts.  I'd like to use it on my Coco 3, 2 & 1 (in
that order) as well as on my 6-chip 6809 Based Computer.  I still call it my
6-Chip 6809 Based Computer even though it uses a few more chips now as you
saw.  Please let me know what you think of my ideas and thank you in advance
for considering this proposal.  I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
Kip