[Coco] [cocoio]To each, in his/her own interest....

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 18 02:16:59 EDT 2013

On 18/06/2013 2:43 PM, George Ramsower wrote:

>   I'm curious. are there any females on this list that have a real interest
> in the Coco?

My business partner's wife has long held an interest in computer - and
retro computer - games and programming. She is actually a very capable C
and assembler (various processors including the 8086) programmer.

Unfortunately (for us) her retro interests revolve mainly around the
Commodore computers (C64 & Amiga) and early DOS machines. I'm not sure she
has ever seen a Coco running, unless it was one of mine or the Coco3FPGA I
had running here in the office a while back.

I'm also struggling to recall a single female at any of the old computer
clubs I attended with my father (both TRS-80 & Coco) in the 70's & 80's.
That would go a long way to explaining why there's none here now I guess...

I don't think it's just a "Coco thing" either... I studied computer
science back in the 80's and of a class of just over 100, you could have
counted the females on one hand. Of those, I know at least two of them
went immediately into sales jobs after graduating; they were never going
to cut code let-alone be interested in playing with old computers some 30
years later.

I'm thinking to balance things up a bit we should get someone like Gene to
wear a dress when he's answering emails on this list, and we should all
hereafter refer to him as "Genie". Fortunately there's no binaries allowed
so he can't post any pictures! ;)

Regards,