[Coco] CoCo monstrosity |was: [OT] Atari 8-bit video card

Steve 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Mon Jun 17 14:52:04 EDT 2013

On 6/17/2013 10:15 AM, Mike Pepe wrote:
> In theory someone could make a bridge between the CoCo and a PCI-E
> slot and you could command a modern video card with the CoCo driving a
> modern monitor. It would be an interesting experiment, albeit
> something that's probably not at all practical. -Mike

It's just not practical, but shouldn't even be talk about since it could
never be made to work.

I've seen some dream-up "pie in the sky" "theories" on stuff to
interface a coco to, but this one takes the cake.

It really begs the question, if your CoCo is not doing that you want
than why don't you get a computer that does it already?

The CoCo was great back in its day, but that was 25 years ago. Computers
have come a long way baby!

I must have Designed/Built/Owned about 250 computers by now.  Only about
8 of those have been types of cocos.  Maybe that's why I'm unwilling to
put so much time and $$$ into making the CoCo do things that other
computer can easily do because of their more modern design.

CoCo emulators, Floppy Disk drive emulators, FPGA-based Cocos and Driver
servers like DriveWire are good additions for CoCo users trying to keep
their hobby alive.  But if you want to do more than the limits of a CoCo
, there lots of good (and cheap) micro-controllers and computers out
there.  (Think Picaxe, Arduino, Raspberry Pi and old PC to name a few.)

I'm not saying to not try and push the limits of the CoCo.  Just don't
waste time and money turning a beloved CoCo into a Frankenstein Monster
that no one would want to play with.

Steve