[Coco] [OT] Atari 8-bit video card

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Mon Jun 17 13:15:33 EDT 2013

Behalf >Of billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
>Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 9:07 AM
>To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
>Subject: Re: [Coco] [OT] Atari 8-bit video card
>
>An interesting concept.  Which bring up another question for some of the
people here more >knowledgeable in this stuff than I am.

>What is the possibility of making a "Video Cartridge"?  A cartridge with a
modern video controller >that could drive current monitors and be driven
itself by the COCO?  Possible?  Too difficult?  >Easy?  Too expensive?

>Inquiring minds want to know.
>
>bill

It's entirely possible and has already been done. There were several 80
column video cards (cartridges) made throughout the CoCo's lifespan that are
exactly that- a dedicated video controller (probably a 6845) and some RAM
driving a monitor separate from the CoCo RF output.

In theory someone could make a bridge between the CoCo and a PCI-E slot and
you could command a modern video card with the CoCo driving a modern
monitor. It would be an interesting experiment, albeit something that's
probably not at all practical.

-Mike