[Coco] Nitros9 version question

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Jun 9 11:32:33 EDT 2013

Hi guys,
Is there a location in OS9 and/or Nitros9 where the version of the OS being run is a constant?
In this I mean is there a system call or a place that can be examined and find the current version of OS9/Nitros9 that is the same in all versions.
The reason I ask is I would like to be able to identify the version of OS9 being run from within a program. I have figured out how to find the cpu type, if DW is being use and the version if it is and I'm working on identifying the drivers and descriptors on a system. All these tests are or will become C subroutines to be used in a program. Knowing what devices are available helps the programmer to enumerate a list of available drives for the user to select instead of asking the user to input a drive and dealing with user typos while entering. This makes things a little more automated in programming for Nitros9. In working on my disk manager module for DW4Man as well as my upcoming BootMajik os9boot creator, these kind of things make OS9 a little more invisible to the user. If you run my DW4Man, the first thing you see is that DW4Man identifies the cpu type and the drivewire version.
 I hope to be putting together a web page and downloads of my subs with instructions on how they are used for others to use in their C programs. I'm also working on making C libraries from these subs to make it even easier to add the subs to a C or RMA program. I have put together quite a few that are inline versions of standard OS9 utilities so that they don't have to be called externally. Some examples are "tmode", "pwd", "pxd", "dw", "bell", "cputype" and a filterable dir routine. They are small and fast as to not bog down a program.

I would love to add an "OS9 version" trick to the bag of goodies :-)
Thanks

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia