[Coco] ack!

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Jun 3 11:24:19 EDT 2013

On Monday 03 June 2013 11:13:02 Tormod Volden did opine:

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Can we get rid of the root user requirement?  I wear out the chown -R
> > command switching the trees user:group around all the time so I can
> > work on it as me.
>
> I am pretty sure there never was a root user requirement. It is only
> needed if you install something to a system folder like
> /usr/local/bin. But if you by mistake ran something as root (or using
> sudo) file ownership might have been messed up so that you can't fix
> it as a normal user.
>
> This reminds me though, that I updated the build instructions in the
> wiki
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/nitros9/index.php?title=Building_
> NitrOS9_in_Windows_using_Cygwin some time ago and the previous
> instructions put the sources in
> /usr/src, which is just weird, and requires root permissions to some
> degree.
>
> BTW, I can understand it is not so easy to find that wiki page or the
> wiki at all, the sourceforge project offers two wikis now, not to
> mention the way Sourceforge moves repositories around. It would make
> sense to shut down or rename the old repo so that people don't use it
> by accident.
>
> > There are also some remaining ifp1's giving lwasm a tummy ache, but I
> > haven't located them yet.
>
> lwasm warns about it ignoring ifp1 and you can just ignore that warning.
>

> To the nitros-9 developers:
> Why is the apparently troublesome NITROS9DIR variable at all required
> for building stuff /inside/ this directory tree? The stuff inside
> should probably just use relative paths. AFAICS a such variable only
> makes sense for an out-of-tree build of third-party modules.
>
> Regards,
> Tormod

Because its absolute.  Using all those ../../../ stacks can be just another
headache, one that excedrin is incapable of alleviating.  The use of local
vars, while not obvious to some, is a great way to maintain control over
any project.  If we didn't have it, we'd have to invent it, its that
useful.

Here, I have a much larger problem with the password requester on a bash
screen, I have no way of knowing if its an automatic sudo asking for my
local pw, or if its srcfrg asking for my srcfrg password, a much longer pw.
The password: prompt is the same.

I probably don't help the perms problems here by building nitros9 in the
/opt tree, then doing the chown so its visible on my web page.  And some is
not ATM, or is dangerous because everything is being built for 6309's only
with the current rules.mak.

So don't pull from me until I say its good again folks.