[Coco] ack!

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Jun 2 22:36:43 EDT 2013

Chris,
I think I screwed up anyway. Between the first attempt and the second, I reinstalled cygwin and I think I forgot to do the export. Now I'm doing another reinstall because now when I try to "make" anything it says "command not found 'make' "

I think my problem is not knowing what packages (exactly) are needed for cygwin.

Another problem is I had a previous install (older) on this computer and I think it's defaulting to the parameters in the registery from that install. Cygwin seems to have no "uninstall" feature so everything has to be uninstalled manually. If it's writing to the windows registery, then it NEEDS an uninstall function. This is a given in windows and anyone who programs for windows regularly knows this. All they have to do is use one of the free installer packages, most of which are open source and they will properly do a windows install AND uninstall. This is one of the very reasons Windows gets a bad name. Poor programming done by 3rd parties that don't follow the rules and therefore making windows look bad.

The same goes for any OS. Even in OS-9, Tandy was the worst for breaking their own rules. First OS-9 programming rule: Return your user back to the screen they were using when your program exits.
Tell that to Deskmate, Multivue, any of the Games written for OS-9 and many more. They always left you in some off the wall screen with weird colors. Multivue was the worst. Run my DW4Man or Sound Chaser... When you exit, your screen is reset to the exact format and settings you were in when you typed the cmd. I spent quite a bit of time researching this feature and it's fairly simple.
So is making an uninstaller for Windows.

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com