[Coco] Retrochallenge -- Micro-C for CoCo

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Jul 31 14:53:45 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 31 July 2013 14:45:45 billg999 at cs.uofs.edu did opine:

> > On 2013-07-31 10:57, Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) wrote:
> >> I think John wants a compiler for DECB.
> >>
> >> I have tried the gcc6809 and it made a code for DECB and seemed to
> >> run fine. But gcc is meant for multiple registers processors so the
> >> speed would
> >> never be optimal.
> >
> > gcc6809 actually does a remarkable job when optimization for size is
> > enabled. It could probably do a much better job with some tweaking but
> > that's a harder job than it looks like (I've tried). The biggest
> > problem with the most recent "official" version of gcc6809 is that it
> > does not build properly on a 64 bit linux platform - it has issues
> > related to word size - and porting it forward to a newer version of
> > gcc is not pleasant due to some massive changes to the gcc internals.
>
> Yeah, in moving our department servers forward to 64bit processors
> I watched a lot of the ports build and I am amazed at how many
> warnings are issued.  Rather than trying to add new features it's
> time for the Open Source World to go back and just fix the stuff
> they have out there now.  Is it really so hard to fix something in
> the first place rather than leave it until it moves from a warning
> to a bug?  Things like casting to/from pointers to items of different
> sizes. Using un-initialized variables. Passing incompatible parameters
> to functions.  Really......

+100 Bill.  ARM is having a huge set of teething problems because it
doesn't switch register lengths as easily as the x64 stuff seems to be able
to do.

But a couple of our schmardter folks have managed to make Linuxcnc run well
on a beaglebone black, using its 'PRU' facilities to handle the realtime
stuff involved in driving steppers, which at the higher speeds, lose
torque anyway, and its a lot worse if the 'heartbeat' has a timing wobble
of even 20 u-secs.  Not bad for a $49 computer that fits in your cigarette
case & runs on a watt or two.