[Coco] SuperIDE backup/restore

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 29 00:07:16 EDT 2013

On 29/07/2013 1:48 PM, Gustavo Ranaur Schoenaker wrote:

> Initially I used one of 4GB Transcend Card. I DD the content from the
> original Cloud-9 to it. I could boot it, but when I run som problems, the
> computer hangs.

Years ago we had a client that was looking to switch to Transcend CF cards
on a proprietary Windows CE device. They were having issues with the
Transcend cads and asked my colleague to look into it. Unfortunately it was
too long ago for me to remember and at the time I took little interest in
the outcome... I'm not sure if they dumped Transcend or not...

> There is something very, very strange in the way CF cards works. Who is the
> culprit? The CF card's IDE emulation?

They certainly had issues in the early days, but they seemed to have ironed
out all the issues by the time we got around to using them. Or we just got
lucky with SanDisk!?! :)

If SuperIDE does indeed use LBA mode then I can't see why you shouldn't be
able to use any sized device to backup your SuperIDE image... CHS mode
*might* cause issues but no-one has used that for years... :(

Regards,