[Coco] SuperIDE backup/restore

Retro Canada retrocanada76 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 21:34:05 EDT 2013

the superide access the cf card as if it was an IDE device in lba mode.

the pc access it as a mass storage usb device, unless you connect it to an old pc using ide cables and adapter. so there is a different way to access it and i believe the partitions you have on it dictates how pc will read and write on it even in raw mode.

do you have a female cf ide adapter (inexpensive on ebay) and a +5v supply ? if so you can connect both cfs on superide and try to format it.

On 2013-07-28, at 9:12 PM, Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net> wrote:

Ed Orbea wrote:
> <snip>
>
> The only differences are the Serial Number (obviously this should be different)
> and the # sectors per R/W multiple(Cloud9 distribution disk = 1, the other CF
> cards = 4).
>
> <snip>
>
>    But when I put the new CF card into the SuperIDE device and power on
>    the system (CoCo3), I see the Disk Basic banner, the HBD-DOS LBA
>    banner, and then the system either: starts showing 'sparklies';
>    starts showing random colors and letters; or just hangs.
>
>    The LED on the SuperIDE remains a solid color (no blinking).

Ed,

Since I don't own the Cloud-9 device, I can't do any testing to emulate your problem. However, the symptoms indicate that the SuperIDE device does not like the images you generated so there must be a critical difference between the original CF card and the copies.

Clearly there is a difference as indicated above in the first sentence quoted. I've no idea if image structure will prevent your CF cards from working. Ask Mark!
An obvious test would be to send one of your cards to Mark to see if it works on his system. Regardless of the result, have Mark generate a working image on your card and send it back to you to see if it works on your system.

I would guess that the difference in "sectors per R/W" is critical and you need to ask Mark or another user of the SuperIDE how to format for 1 sector per R/W, whatever that actually means.

Robert