[Coco] My New Kipper Computer and Cocopedia Update

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jul 27 14:44:04 EDT 2013

On Saturday 27 July 2013 14:25:03 Kip Koon did opine:

> Hi Guys!
>
> How has everyone been doing? I hope everyone is well and having a lot of
> fun with their Cocos!
>
> It has been a while since I last sent a message to the Coco List.  Man,
> have I been busy!
>
> For those who are interested.
>
> I have been doing a lot of experimenting with Eagle learning its many
> features.
>
> I have begun initial Schematic Entry and PCB Layout for a new 6x09 based
> computer called KIPPER.
>
> My Cocopedia web page
>
> http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/User:Computerdoc

That is a great write up Kip.  And I can only argue about one point, which
is in one of the later pix, showing the floppy controller installed in slot
1 of the mpi.  There, the cart is not on the cables end connector, but has
about 6 or 7 inches of cable hanging out over the front.

Granted, for most floppy applications the circuitry is slow enough that the
echo's from the un-terminated end of the cable will be ignored, but the
faster interfaces for ide/atapi, and particularly for scsi, thats an error
generator par excellence because of the signal echo's that will create.

If you do not intend to ever use that cable's IDC connector on the end of
it, I would slice that bit of cable off flush with the face of the 34 pin
card edge connector you are using.  If its intended to be a universal
cable, I'd remove the 34 pin card edge from where it is, to be re-installed
only 2" from the other connector, which would get it close enough to the
end that the echo's would only be a slight blurring of the signals edge
transitions.

I've not found any 3.5" drives that allow the 'terminations' to be
independently controlled so as to emulate the idea that the last drive on
the cable is the only one terminated.  Whether that could be a problem when
3 DS drives are connected remains to be discovered.  It has not been a
problem for me, and I'm playing mix-n-match here, with a 3.5" as drive 1.

One last comment, I am wondering if I could get the eagle files, run them
through pcb2gcode, and make them on my cnc milling machine?  Its not fast,
but a 4x4 footprint is well within its abilities.  But that way isn't going
to plate the thru holes, although I would imagine that problem is solvable.
I haven't researched it to any great depth as what I have done so far was
simple and I could solder both sides.

Thanks, a bunch!