[Coco] 4 drive system

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Wed Jul 17 15:39:25 EDT 2013

----- Original Message -----

From: "Robert Hermanek"

> I've never seen a 4 drive coco system.  Is it a single controller with 4
> drives on one ribbon?  Is it a straight through ribbon with 4 drive
> connectors?
>
> -RobertH
>
> --

====================

For most CoCo users maximum usability was 2 drives.  I have a 4 drive setup,
but only 3 drives are online at a time.  To run a full 4 drive set on the
CoCo you need to redirect the side select to the 4th drive select.  That
took a jumper of some sort in the 4th drive or a twist in the cable.

The CoCo controller misused the side select line for the 4th drive select
and had no connection to the normal 4th drive select.  The plus side to that
was that with the proper pokes to Disk Basic one could use the back side of
a double sided disk drive as another drive.  OS-9 could see it as a proper
double sided drive.  However the lack of the 4th drive select limited OS-9
systems to 3 drives.

Bruce W.