[Coco] Disk sizes was make case sensitive?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jul 14 15:09:18 EDT 2013

On Sunday 14 July 2013 14:45:50 Bill Pierce did opine:

> >Why do you want to back up a superIDE disk image if you don't have a
> >superIDE system? Just curious.
>
> I was referring to every bootdisk in the repo. You cannot set up an
> HDBDOS to NitrOS9 boot without building a new bootdisk. Period. By the
> way.... how many "new" users know what an "sdc" is? 0.  How many would
> download it to see what it is? 99% Why do you think people keep asking
> about how to do it?
> It's tough for newcomers to OS9 when they can't even back a standard
> floppy boot to a standard floopy because there is no standard copy of
> the standard floppy.... Okie dokie artichokie? :-) Almost all of the
> NitrOS9 boot disks SHOULD have a 35trk SSDD version (multi disk to have
> all stuff available). (DW & Becker excluded though still would be
> useful)
>
> Let's say I just got a Coco 3 from ebay. I haven't used the Coco in 20
> years and never used OS9 because of the complexity of the system. I
> decide to give this Nitros9 a go since everyone is talking about how
> "easy" it is to use. I download the standard disk image for
> nitros96809l2030209coco3.dsk I somehow made it through the obscure and
> mystical instructions to get HDBDOS running using a cassette cable... I
> even made a drivewire cable and can load the disk. But it won't boot. I
> need a dw bootdisk. back to download... I can boot the dw bootdisk in
> drivewire..... but have access to ONLY that disk. There's no HD
> drivers, only floppy drivers and something called "x0", "x1" "x2" &
> "x3".... I don't remember nothing like that and I can't get the disk to
> my 35trk floppy. How do I copy this 40trk DSDD disk to HDBDOS partition
> 255 so I can set up a bootdisk???? Answer: YOU CAN'T.... You have to
> make a boot disk... wait for it.... here it comes.... How do you make a
> boot disk?????
> Then the whole can of worms gets dumped again for someone else to have
> to pick them up and put em back for next victo... err... I mean user.

You started to type it, then miss-spelled it, its victim, and correct.  But
after reading above, I can see why.  If you have the drivewire server
running on your PC, and the cable properly setup from the bit-banger port
to a seriel port on the PC, _OR_ the bit-banger cable plugged into an FDTI
seriel to usb adaptor, and if the distance is more than 5 feet or so, this
IS the preferred method, I have a 3 foot bit-banger cable plugged into an
adaptor, the adaptor is plugged into a USB2.0 7 port hub, and that hub is
connected to a 10 meter USB-2.0 extension cable, which in turn is plugged
into a USB-2.0 port on this motherboard after running across the basement
ceiling to a hole in the floor behind the PC tower.  Drivewire, the server
is configured to use /dev/ttyUSB0 (different on winders) and it all just
works.

That is the preliminary, next is the disc menu in the drivewire GUI, where
you can choose to open a *.dsk image for every /x# descriptor in your boot
file.  If there are no errors in doing that, then from the coco's keyboard,
do a "dir /x#" and you should see the contents of that dsk.

If you have a hard drive, then installing from the .dsk to a subdir on the
hard drive make it super easy to install, and you can then do your boot
floppy building directly from your own hard drive.  Or, since the .dsk,
once mounted to one of the /x# descriptors, is 100% read and write, you can
the mb and bootlist files to build a floppy directly from the mounted dsk.

There are other ways of course, but for a relative newbie that's probably
the best way to 'get your feet wet'.