[Coco] 3.5 drives was drive motors

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Sat Jul 13 14:04:54 EDT 2013

As others have touched on, PC drives are jumpered as drive 1 and the cable
has a twist to swap the drive select 0 and 1 lines between the drive
connectors.  Some of the now really old 3.5 drives have jumpers of switches
for drive select with the default setting as drive 1.  Fewer and fewer of
the newer drives have any drive select settings available.  With those newer
drives you will need to figure out where the drive select lines are and
figure out the proper twist to put the correct line in the cable into the
drive 1 position of the applicable drive.

Also, 720k media is the only reliable choice for the CoCo use, unless you
have a 26-3022 controller modified for the faster data transfer rates needed
for the 1.44M media.  On my CoCo systems I have had good luck through the
years with 1.44M drives using 720k media.

Bruce W.