[Coco] 3.5 drives was drive motors

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Jul 13 11:49:15 EDT 2013

Robert,
 I'm not sure but I think the two connectors are not pin for pin compatible. I seem to remember that you have to switch a couple if not several pins to make it work properly. One of my 3.5 drives (my current drive 0) came configured for the Coco with a case and an internal 5.25 to 3.5 adapter plate with an 34 pin adapter on the plate. A regular Coco drive cable is used, then internally it cables to a 34 pin connection like used on the 3.5 drives. In the cable run, from the internal side of the card edge to the 34 pin, there are several wires crossed to other pins. They are not direct pin for pin connected. I also have a cable that is set up for a 5.25 and a 3.5 drive. In that cable, after leaving the 5.25 (drive 0), several wires are split from the ribbon and crossed to different pins for the 34 pin 3.5 connector. I know I'l be corrected if I'm wrong.

Also, if you're using an 3.5 HD drive (1.44 meg). It must be jumpered to work as 720k or it will not work. If there's no jumpers, then it's the wrong type drive. It seems I remember that some drives would go into 720k mode if you cover the hole on the upper left of the disk, but I think that's only on a PC. The HD disks will work on a 720k drive but will possibly fail eventually. Something about the 720k write heads not being strong enough for the HD media. Anyway, it's best to have 720k disks (DD).

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com