[Coco] mercurial

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 19:08:15 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 1:47 AM, Bob Devries wrote:
> Tormod,
>
> on the wiki page I read:
>
> QUOTE:
> On Cygwin you might have to add "CC=gcc" to the "make" lines below.
> /QUOTE
>
> You're writing like an expert. Try to write for a lower level than yourself.
> Where do I put this CC=gcc? Please give examples.

Thanks Bob, that's a lot more constructive!

> I notice that the relavant example is on another page.

Yes, you followed the suggested link in the text, like a reader is
supposed to ;)

> Why is it necessary to use this, since the repo I used (nitros9-code)
> compiles fine without it? Perhaps an explanation of why it is required would
> be in order?

Actually that CC=gcc thing is really obscure and cargo-cult I copied
from the list. Since I don't have Cygwin and could not test I added it
nonetheless with the words "you might have to add".

Now that you can confirm that building on Cygwin works without it, I
will be very happy to delete it from the instructions!

I wanted these instructions to be concise and show the "canonical" way
of building nitros9. It is not meant as a tutorial or explaining all
the different tools involved. Anyone is welcome to write that up.
There are certainly many ways of putting commands together to build
it. But it is good to show the minimal steps, that can be followed
blindly with success. Thanks to Gene for testing the latter by the way
:)

Cheers,
Tormod