[Coco] Typing Software

Terrance Hale mizagorn at att.net
Thu Jul 11 01:29:01 EDT 2013

As long as it's a QWERTY keyboard they are learning on, then I would respectfully submit that it won't matter. Even if it wasn't (for whatever unusual but not unheard of reason) it wouldn't matter.

Kids on tablets and phones use limited punctuation anyway, if you've noticed.  Different keyboard manufacturers/styles have slightly different placement of keys (especially navigation) and laptops are different as well.

Kids are remarkably adept at adapting to any input source - from joystick, to gamepad, to standard telephone, to computers, laptops, tablets and smart phones. Just as they are able to more readily learn a 2nd (or 3rd) language at a younger age, they are also readily able to make a smooth transition between input types.  In other words, confusion is simply not an issue.

One positive of learning on a CoCo keyboard is that they get exposure to an earlier era of computing devices, and discussions on how much technology has advanced since they first came out vs. how typical text entry has advanced very little since then would be one topic of discussion. It's simply which device you are typing on, whether it be a multi-layered phone keyboard or a natural-style split PC keyboard... or a CoCo keyboard. The variances are mostly insignificant, especially, again, at a younger age.

Terry