[Coco] The Coco Zelda Clone

T. Franklin tim at franklinlabs.com
Tue Jul 9 08:48:57 EDT 2013

I dunno, if you ask me, why discourage the guy on doing the project in any way? Half the fun of doing a project like that is learning. Making mistakes and rethinking methods is how we become better programmers. I've started many projects just to star over because I went off on the wrong foot. If he was developing the project to make money and time was a factor then I would agree with the cautionary comments. But, suggesting he not do this project because of lack of experience isn't helping. I say go for it!!! Ride the bumps. Learn!! I'll be anxiously waiting to see your final game.

bill,I agree with Steve despite C or ASM you will need video game theory and practice. To Make a fast video game on a 8-bit computer demands lots of practice. If you take wrong decisions at the beginning of project it will impact you later and maybe too late. For example: should one use 8 or 16 pixel tiles?instead of starting a huge project start with a small game. Its my advice.Sent from my TRS-80 Color 1 - model 26-3003B On 2013-07-09, at 6:31 AM, Bill Pierce  wrote:Steve,I program in assembly as well as C (OS9). I have just never written a game engine on the Coco. I haven't used basic since I bought my first EDTASM cart in about 85. Though I have done a little in Basic09 before I learned C.I'll most likely be fielding some questions. I'm especially interested in Nick's horizontal screen scrolling he's working on at the moment.Bill PierceMy Music from the Tandy/Radio Shack Color Computer 2 & 3https://sites.google.com/site/dabarnstudio/Co-Webmaster of The TRS-80 Color Computer Archivehttp://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPediahttp://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Main_PageE-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com-----Original Message-----From: Steve Bjork <6809er at srbsoftware.com>To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts Sent: Tue, Jul 9, 2013 1:17 amSubject: Re: [Coco] The Coco Zelda CloneLooks like you are on a roll.A quick question: You used basic in the past but are you going to try your hand using Assembly to get the speed you want?If so, there are many on this list have written a few game in 6809 assembly. (like Nick and myself.) We can help.SteveOn 7/8/2013 8:00 PM, Bill Pierce wrote:> The stuff on the "Performance" page is with my live guitars.> The Zelda clone will be a slow process. I've never written a game engine onthe Coco with the exception of a couple of adventure systems in BASIC, though I have played around with them in Visual Basic & 3D FPS stuff. I have a basic idea on what I want to do, it's just getting it into code.> I'd love to have the sources to the original Zelda. It's my understanding thatit is possible to get them for porting but you have to jump through some hoops.> > Bill Pierce--Coco mailing listCoco at maltedmedia.comhttp://five.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/coco--Coco mailing listCoco at maltedmedia.comhttp://five.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/coco--Coco mailing listCoco at maltedmedia.comhttp://five.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/coco