[Coco] Nitro OS9 Level 1 question

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Wed Jan 9 09:39:41 EST 2013

Bill Pierce wrote:

> Mr Gault,
> The startup is probably the easiest way. The main thing was remembering how to do it. I've dabbled in Coco 3 hires screens for so long, I'd forgotten how to deal with the Pmode screens.
>
> So far XRoar seems to be a stable Coco 2 emulation but NitrOS9 Level 1 is starting to look questionable. It may be the cmds themselves and not the system as I'm running into things like "makdir" making a directory and it gets marked as a system file and when the attributes are reset, it still can't be deleted with deldir. Copy is copying files that end up with bad attributes or a size of 0 or both. To get a functional VHD with a full cmd set and multiple dirs for various things, I had to Cobble the boot in level 1 then move the VHD to VCC and level 2 to copy files and make directories. With that done, it seems to work fine. I really don't think the use of Drivewire is causing this as I've been using DW for a year now and it's more stable than OS9 itself. I don't think there's been enough testing on the backport of NitrOS9 to level 1. As I said, it could be the cmds themsleves as some were backported and "optimized" as well. I need to dig out the old level 1 cmds and see if I
>   get similar results. I know I have virtual images of disks with unaltered level 1 cmds that I copied over from some my old disks.
>
> Thanks again
> Bill P

Bill,

Make sure that you are using full disks. That is to say, if a disk is supposed
to have 1440 sectors based on LSN0, the disk should be that large. Emulators do
not behave well with mismatched LSN0 and formatted disk sizes.
I'd also suggest that dmode be used to make sure that a descriptor matches the
disk in use. Once again mismatches can cause problems.

Robert