[Coco] The terrible Scripsit

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Tue Feb 12 21:55:38 EST 2013

I was a CSR (tech support at the RSCC then ATSO level) from 1980 to 1986.  Things called Scripsit were a big part of my life for what seemed then to be a long time (now it seems that it was way too short and both too long ago and almost yesterday).

Every word processing program produced by Tandy had "Scripsit" in its name.  At various times I used Model I/III/IV Scripsit (tape and disk), Color Scripsit (tape and disk), Model I/III/IV SuperScripsit, Model II/12 Scripsit (the first word processor I really liked) (also the program Isaac Asimov used for his last hundred or so books), and Scripsit-16 (the first word processor I really loved) (later downported to Scripsit 1000/2000 and Scripsit PC).  Scripsit-100 wasn't actually a word processor, it was an output formatter that could follow instructions you embedded into files created with the Mod 100's ROM text editor.  But my preferred editor is vi and descendants ever since I first laid hands on the Xenix system.  Not likely to change that after after 30 years.  After doing a first draft in vi, I'll then import the file into a word processor.  (Which one? My null-modem adapters are sacred relics).  Yeah, I've also done vi with {n|t}roff, but after the ms macro package was abandoned (I'll never know why) I gave that up.  I've never actually used the OS-9 version of Scripsit, it came out after I left Radio Shack in '86 and a copy has yet to fall into my hands.  There was also a product for MS-DOS called Varsity Scripsit, no relation to any of the above and I seem to recall it was purchased rather than developed by Tandy.

That's _eight_ different from scratch code bases all called by the Scripsit trademark.  Two on I/II/IV, one on II/12, one on Xenix/MS-DOS, one on Mod 100/200, one on Coco, one on OS-9, one on MS-DOS.  I don't _think_ I've left any out.  (Mod 4 Scripsit and SuperScripsit also ran fine on the II/12/16/6k using the 8" port of LS-DOS, but since I'm one of the very few who ever tried that (my copy of 8" LS-DOS was bought on close-out from from Roy Soltoff and was serial # 25) it's pretty much a non-issue.

On my I/III/IV systems (and in xtrs), I'm a big fan of AllWrite by Prosoft (also works with 8" LS-DOS).  Very much like using {n|t}roff with ms macros.  Though not a big fan of Color Scripsit, I recall using it to create invitations for my wedding in 1982.  I haven't really created any text on a Color Computer in decades, as I've never hooked one up to a decent monitor.

I have never done serious word processing on an MS-DOS or Windows system.  If I _had_ to, I'd do my damnedest to get a copy of Scripsit-PC or just use WordStar (never much liked Wordperfect, even its rather short-lived Linux port).  I _abhor_ WYSIWYG word processors when I'm creating text.  I prefer to just type and then go back and pretty things up later.  Since I don't normally use MS-DOS or Windows at home (yes, several of my Linux systems retain Windows partitions, I need them for arguing with Comcast when the service sucks and they try the argument that I'm using unsupported software) I do have more choices than most folks.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd at comcast.net

<home.comcast.net/~wdg3rd>

God does not play dice with the universe: He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who _smiles all the time_.
    -- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)