[Coco] The terrible Scripsit

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Tue Feb 12 18:26:52 EST 2013

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:13:35 -0800 (PST)
From: John Donaldson<johnadonaldson at sbcglobal.net>

I used Telewriter 64 for a LONG time. I set to 50 character mode and the screen
looked really great and printout was great. I did some of my first resume's
using T64 and a 24 pin printer. I did not go 80 column until I got my OS9 68K
system from Paul.

The Scripsit cartridge made me get a disk system! Well, that's not really true. I could deal with the quirks of the cartridge because I knew the limitations were in place because of the limited graphics capabilities of the computer itself, and memory constraints. I'd type a book with a type writer, anything was better than that! That tape drive was a killer though! Had to save on a couple tapes at least, and hope it would read one of them next time, or write with no errors! I was in Okinawa, Japan, at the time (Kadena Air Base, USAF) and didn't have a Tandy tape recorder. Bought a used full height TRS-80 Model 1 drive from another military guy on the island and mail ordered a controller along with a copy of Telewriter 64. Used that and tried a couple other WPs -- including VIP Writer and on from the CoCo-Max guys that was WYSIWYG. That one was too slow, worked in the graphics screens. Then I got a copy of Simply Better!! The name said it all!! On a CoCo3 it worked great with a black and white TV (or composite monitor) using 64 columns. That was the best WP for the CoCo ever. It REALLY shined with an RGB monitor!  I don't think SB would run on anything but a CoCo3...

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine