[Coco] Multipak troubleshooting (or It's Dead, Jim! :-)

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Feb 12 09:02:27 EST 2013

Aldo Lagana wrote:
> Success!  I got the MP working, I opened it up and pushed down on the top of power supply, everything else seemed solid.
>
> The SC II is confirmed kaput, plugged directly into the Coco, it causes a non-boot (screen stays black).  It does have the HD interface which did work, I will try it without the HD interface when I get a chance.
>
> Whew!  This early 80's stuff is some solid electronics.
>
> Thanks Robert, for your suggestions.

Great, now let's get the SCII working.

There is not much that should go wrong with the SCII if it was used properly.
Open it up and look for loose chips (or just re-socket), loose jumpers, and that
the jumpers are where they should be.
Make sure you actually have a PROM or EPROM on the board. If possible, try the
chip in another controller.

Report the type of PROM/EPROM as the SCII will take a Tandy DOS, 2764, 27128, or
27256. The jumpers must be set for the chip in use. If you don't have the SCII
manual, let me know and I'll indicate where the jumpers should be.