[Coco] Issues with 26-3022 interface

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Mon Feb 11 22:34:13 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----

From: "Daniel Campos"

> Hello,
>
> I just acquired from ebay a 26-3022Tandy interface, but I'm having a bad
> time to make it work with a DSDD drive.

> Any hints on what I need to look at on a TRS-80 drive to work with the
> Coco ?
>
> Just out of curiosity I tested a 5 1/4 HD (1.2M) Drive from an old PC and
> I could make a DSKINI (even with an IO ERROR at the end) and also a SAVE
> and a LOAD on a BASIC program, so it appears that the interface is working
> as it should.
>
> I also take note on several sites that a mod for HD drives is around for
> this interface. Anyone knows where to find a documentation of this mod ?
>
> Thanks!
> Daniel

=================================

The 26-3022 disk controller is the first model disk controller and needs 12
volts to operate properly.  The CoCo 2 and CoCo 3 did away with the 12 volt
line supply, so this controller has problems with them.  To use double sided
drives requires fully toothed cable connectors AND either a hardware kit to
access the other side as a separate drive, or an adjustment in the
ROM/ROM-in-RAM.

That SAVE and  LOAD is a good sign.

The mod for HD drives is involved and the parts have been off the market for
decades.  I gave up on collecting the parts almost 15 years ago.  Not that
it would have been fruitful, I never did put my hands on a 26-3022
controller.

Bruce W.