[Coco] Punchcards (was Re: MAMOU bug?)

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Tue Feb 5 16:01:41 EST 2013

Ah, yes, IBM punchcards.  I did my share of programming on them as
well, starting in high school.  (A tip of the hat also to DEC's
punched paper rolls for program storage.)  I actually was briefly
indignant in the '70s when I was forced to transfer a lot of favorite
FORTRAN
programs to magnetic tapes because my university announced it would
soon scrap its punchcard readers.

My first experience with punch cards was actually in the late '40s
when I was in grade school, in the context of using the Montclair (NJ)
public libraries.  Thomas J. Watson, then
CEO of IBM, lived in Montclair and selected its libraries as the pilot
location for a circulation system based on punchcards.  My library
card consisted of 1/3 of an IBM card, and every book in the library
had a little pocket containing half an IBM card, punched with the
book's identifying information.

When you checked out a book, your library card and the book's card
would get inserted into a special reader simultaneously, resulting in
the generation (at a connected location in the basement of the
library) of a "transaction card," a full IBM card that contained a
record of the book withdrawal.  Neat!

Art