[Coco] Ethernet Port Cartridge for the Coco 3

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 13:47:32 EST 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus)
<retrocanada76 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why the coco wouldn't be able to implement the TCP/IP stack ?
>
> Let me give you as example the MSX computer. It has 2 ethernet cards one
> the Obsonet where the TCP/IP stack is performed by the Z-80 and a newer
> one, the DenYoNet which implements the TCP by hardware.
>
> http://www.msx.org/articles/obsonet
> http://www.kirainet.com/english/interview-with-nestor-soriano-konamiman/
>
> Don't you think the MC6809 can do what a z-80 does ?

I'm sure you *could* implement the stack on the 6809, but you'd
probably get results in the same ballpark as the obsonet project (only
a few KB per second throughput).  Not to mention we OS9 users like to
have some CPU time left for other processes.  Most of the micro TCP
projects do not support multitasking or a "real" os behind them, not
sure about obsonet.  Using a hardware stack should increase throughput
to much more useful rates and be less load on the system.  Of course
if things were designed in layers a user program could work with
either one.