[Coco] COM Retention

Robert Hermanek rhermanek at centurytel.net
Sat Feb 2 11:22:52 EST 2013

Yes I think you're correct, I was confused, thinking this "retention"
was referring to some other feature, because the cheaper unit (4 port
with com retention not actually advertised on NewEgg) also performs this
retention function--apparently each serial port in the unit has it's own
serial # and these are stored in the registry along with their port #
(COM5, COM6 etc).

I have to reiterate the drivers are great--you can change port #'s at
will, and tweak all of the buffering issues that can occur when your
byte-by-byte serial stream has to be converted into usb data packets.
I've got the cheaper version in my hands now, and all in all very happy
with it.  I have not confirmed (yet) that it will manage drivewire
communications, but guessing it will if I configure it to flush the
bytes out to the serial port every 10ms or so... anybody remember how
long the coco will wait for a drivewire server response before timing out?

-RobertH