[Coco] DW3DOS ROM not loading NitrOS9 correctly

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Dec 24 23:05:45 EST 2013

Chad H wrote:
> OK, another thing this guy wants to be able to do with the CoCo1 is AutoBOOT
> into NitrOS9 under DriveWire.  I thought that's what the DW3DOS file was
> for.  I tested this by flashing the CoCo 2 verson for my CoCo 2 and booting
> it.  It does come up with "BOOTING NITROS9" and I do see the read activity
> for a few seconds in the DriveWire server, but then the screen goes blank
> with a cursor in the top left of the screen and it just sits there doing
> nothing..  What happened?

Chad,

You seem to be working under some major misunderstandings. If you want NitrOS-9
to auto-boot there are two ways to do that. 1) Use an abbreviated Disk ROM that
just boots NitrOS-9. 2) Use DW3DOS, HDBDOS, or RGBDOS (depending on your Coco
system) to access automatically a disk file called AUTOEX.BAS. The disk file
will run automatically and can include a line
DOS#
where # is a drive number having a mounted boot disk for NitrOS-9.

Now since you mentioned the Drivewire server, I expect you want to boot NitrOS-9
from the server. Therefore you must mount in a drive in that server (it should
be #0 for simplicity) a NitrOS-9 boot disk. If you are using the "nightly"
builds, you want ex. nos96809l1v030209coco2_dw.dsk mounted.
Note that for a coco2 the disk must be 6809L1 and say coco2_dw. For a coco1 the
image should say coco1_dw.

Without knowing which disk image you mounted, and whether you have the correct
settings in the DW server, there is no way anyone can tell what went wrong for
you. You should also post all commands you used. In short, you must provide
enough information for someone to be able to repeat exactly what you did.

Also, the ROM image currently seems to be called hdbdw3cc2.rom. Where did you
get DW3DOS?

Robert