[Coco] .BIN to .ROM

Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) retrocanada76 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 19:54:44 EST 2013

There is not an easy way. The rom should run from $C000-$FE00. A .BIN
could be set to run in any address and also the code must probably
won't be relocatable.

>From disk you  cannot load direct into $C000-$DFFF (the DECB is
there). You will have to load into a temporary buffer and then move
it. So the BIN file is often split into several chunks being the first
the loader routine that switches between ROM/RAM to copy it.

>From cassette I'm not certain if you put the coco into all ram if you
could load direct into $C000. Never tried as I don't play with
cassettes.

So what to say ? Expect the BIN file to run on lower memory
$0000-$8000 and if not it's split into chunks (like popeye does)

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM, Chad H <chadbh74 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone please advise a simple and reliable method to convert a .BIN
> file to a .ROM file?  I can extract the .BIN on my PC if need be.   I seem
> to recall a ROM extraction function in the RETRIEVE.EXE included with the
> CoCo 2 emulator I have that was used for extracting the CoCo ROM to a DISK,
> then you use the RETRIEVE to grab the ROM data off the floppy into a  .ROM
> file on the PC.  I doubt this would work for many .BIN files though,
> especially since many don't start at &HC000.

Long live the CoCo