[Coco] My latest project

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Dec 22 20:53:48 EST 2013

On Sunday 22 December 2013 20:08:17 Bill Pierce did opine:

> Gene, no gshell or cgfx library used. It's all custom graphics routines,
> most in ML. It's a 2 color 640x192 screen (16k). It uses no part of
> cowin's menu capabilities or graphics calls. The screen is copied into
> the graphics driver's workspace and accessed with ML routines, all
> using legal OS9 calls. The screen refresh is twice as fast as OS9's
> graphics calls. It uses Ultimuse3's graphics driver, custom written by
> Mike Knudsen. It should run on ANY OS9 system from vanilla MW to
> Nitros9 3.2.9. Only the dw4 capabilities will be limited. I have my
> Coco 3 sitting right next to the PC and the 2nd test run is on the Coco
> with each test and on a Coco 3 with Cm-8 monitor, it looks great :-).
> It's all black & white so no color conflicts.

From scratch, not even using cowin?

Thats Great(TM). Sounding much better Bill, except for the dw limits
comment.  Are those not something that can be handled by a custom keyboard
template used on the pc to translate the pc keyboard output into something
the coco can use?  That is one of the glaring shortcomings of the z shells
running on the pc, they have no concept of what to do with the arrow keys
for instance.  They are treated as an ESC=oef, so the shell re-spawns
itself printing the [ character plus gets one of ABCD as the key-press,
looking like [A etc on the minicom screen.  Fortunately, the backspace
works as a backspace, delete, backspace, so a cleanup works.

That translation really shouldn't be your problem at all, but dw's.

Minicom, running against /t2 has the same or very similar key miss-match
problem as dw has.

One can edit the minicom key-map, but I haven't gone to the trouble of
getting a printout of the existing key-map here, nor collating a coco key-
map so that its translation table could be intelligently remapped.  There
is just a hint of that in the window descriptors, but a full translation
would need about 1 kilobyte of stuffs for xmode to deal with, completely
impractical. And we both know that is one of those "taint never gonna
happen" things.

So it needs to happen here on the PC.  Preferably right in the DW.jar so
its universally applied.  My use of /t2 to run a terminal program is not
something that the majority of DW users have ever considered, so my use
may even be a minority of one, similarly to my use of a serial mouse, a
night to day difference from the spasticity of the coco's collected mice,
all of them. ;-)  But within those limits, I was using the coco from here
20 years ago when "here" was a big box Amiga.  It was 1998 when I built my
first PC and put Red Hat 5.0 on it.  This is the 4th box since, and its
getting tired.

> Bill Pierce

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)