[Coco] RS-232 image for VCC

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Sun Dec 15 17:22:19 EST 2013

Hi Bill!
Unfortunately not that I know of.  We have to make one.  I'm trying to get
to the stage where I can roll my own NitrOS-9 L2 boot disk for my Coco 3
using modified versions of the mb.* scripts so I can undo the goof I made on
the CF card that came with my SuperIDE pak.  I finally was able to
successfully run the default version of the mb.floppy script and after
following up with DSAVE'ing the rest of the contents of the boot disk in
drive /d0 to the newly created boot disk, I ended up with a new standard
bootable NitrOS-9 L2 boot disk.  Yea!!!  Now I can start trying to figure
out which modules I can fit into a bootable OS9boot file.
I say bootable OS9boot file because I have tried to put quite a bit of
modules in other OS9boot file tests - actually every different kind of
module that existed that I had hardware for and the darn thing did NOT boot,
so I have to figure out just how big a bootable OS9boot file can be.  I
remember a recent discussion about this very subject.  Remember even though
our Coco 3s now have 512KBs, the 6809 mpu still can only address 64KBs at a
time.  That is the problem we all have to deal with, I trying to put too big
of an OS9boot file into ram,  so when a NitrOS-9 L2 boot file doesn't work,
it's just taking up too much ram as far as I can tell at this point.
I imagine the first step could be just adding the driver and descriptor
modules to support the RS-232 pack only, actually two different kinds of
RS-232 paks as there are descriptors for two RS-232 paks at two different
addresses, and see how that new NitrOS-9 L2 boot disk boots with just those
additions.  Once I'm successful with that, then I can try a few more things
one step at a time and see how each of those test boot disks work out.
Eventually I hope to have tailored NitrOS-9 L2 boot disks for all occasions
hopefully.  Well, I have to get ready to go to church and sing our Christmas
cantata.  I hope to talk to you later on.  Take care my friend.
Kip