[Coco] Toolshed docs

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Dec 11 20:24:35 EST 2013

Le 2013-12-10 à 15:05:00, Bill Gordon a écrit :

> My OS is Win XP and the file is in an RSDos image, so unfortunately,
> everything under "os9 copy imagename.dsk,path/to/filename filename" is Greek
> to me.

You need to know that there are three main formats of text files,
differing only by how they end each line. If you open a file in something
like Notepad and it seems to be all on one line or have something funny at
the end of every line, it might be because of confusion between formats.

the CR line-end is used by ColorBASIC, OS9, MacOS classic, many old 8-bit
computers.

the LF line-end is used by Linux, MacOS 10, Android, iPhone, etc.

the CR+LF line-end ending is used by DOS and Windows.

if you encounter the wrong format, you'll have to find a way to convert.
Some apps have an option for it, which might be called "ascii"
(auto-convert) vs "binary" (won't try to convert).

Similar issues can happen when sending text directly to a printer... there
was even a switch on old printers for choosing between kinds of line-ends.