[Coco] Need help with 3.5" drives and NitrOS-9

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Dec 4 00:47:49 EST 2013

On Wednesday 04 December 2013 00:44:17 Robert Gault did opine:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> ><snip>
> >
> > In what way, Robert?  Format should not care, it should either take
> > our command line data as gospel, or the descriptors data if we don't
> > give it any.
>
> Well Format currently reports a tpi of 48 or 135 based on your
> descriptor setting of typ=$20 vs $21. However, since Format can't
> change the tpi of our drives, it should not even mention it. The only
> time something should happen is if you ask format to use a tpi
> different from what your drive can do where rb1773 would need to say
> double step. RBF.d places that information in dns not the typ value so
> this whole thing is confusing.
>
> The disks formatted with different typ values behave differently when
> the difference relates to 5.25 vs 3.5 but that should not happen. It
> should be based on dns as indicated in RBF.
> DNS.STD        EQU       %00000000           Single track distance
> (48/135 tpi) DNS.DTD        EQU       %00000010           Double track
> distance (96 tpi)
>

> My head hurts. :)

Me too, but I just took 3 bedtime pills for that. ;-)  Actually, its this
knee thats screwing up my sleep more than this headache, although this is
probably somewhere in the 850+ for os9 related problems.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

<calc> Knghtbrd: irc doesn't compile c code very well ;)
         law-abiding citizens.