[Coco] Need help with 3.5" drives and NitrOS-9

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Dec 3 23:43:00 EST 2013

Gene Heskett wrote:
><snip>
> In what way, Robert?  Format should not care, it should either take our
> command line data as gospel, or the descriptors data if we don't give it
> any.

Well Format currently reports a tpi of 48 or 135 based on your descriptor
setting of typ=$20 vs $21. However, since Format can't change the tpi of our
drives, it should not even mention it. The only time something should happen is
if you ask format to use a tpi different from what your drive can do where
rb1773 would need to say double step. RBF.d places that information in dns not
the typ value so this whole thing is confusing.

The disks formatted with different typ values behave differently when the
difference relates to 5.25 vs 3.5 but that should not happen. It should be based
on dns as indicated in RBF.
DNS.STD        EQU       %00000000           Single track distance (48/135 tpi)
DNS.DTD        EQU       %00000010           Double track distance (96 tpi)

My head hurts. :)