[Coco] hardware scrolling revisited...

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Tue Dec 3 13:29:55 EST 2013

On 12/2/2013 12:08 PM, John W. Linville wrote:
> This, of course, illustrates that in all likelihood the GIME designers
> had at least some interest in supporting the SG modes.  It is a shame
> that they ran out of time or design space or whatever.
There was a limit placed on not only the design of the GIME but on the
CoCo 3 design as a whole.

While the CoCo community saw the CoCo 3 as a new and better version of
the CoCo, it was really a just a cost reduced version of the CoCo 2.

That's right, the only way we got a new CoCo was because it was cheap to
build than the last version.  The only CoCo what was not cheaper than an
earlier version was the never released Deluxe CoCo. The Deluxe CoCo
would have started a new "Home Pro" line of computers.  The Tandy 1000
line did fill that void.

With the design goal to costing less than the CoCo 2, everything about
the new CoCo 3 was watch over by accountants.  The size of the GIME, the
RAM and even who was going to "patch" BASIC ROMs was down to keep the
manufacturing cost below the Cost of a CoCo 2.

The ram size of 128k was key item in the list of new options for the
system.  This double of the RAM size more about marking than any do with
making the system more powerful.  "Twice the storage" was more about the
Commando 64 than the earlier CoCo2 when it came to marketing.

When it came to the GIME there was a lot of design tradeoffs. Us game
designers needed a sound system in the new CoCo.  Bit-banging the DAC
while working on graphics was driving us nuts.  (Besides, we could never
get good sound out of the CoCo without giving up most of the CPU cycles
to the sound code.

The programmable timer with interrupt was a "sound" solution that only
cost about 20% to 30% of CPU cycles fairly good music and sound effect.
You take what you can get.

The limit of 16 color registers cam from two factors with the first
being the bandwidth of the CoCo 3's memory system.  This was double over
the CoCos that came before by going to 16-bit bus.  (Yes, the internal
bus of the CoCo 3 is 16-bit.)  Even with doubling the bus, the memory
data stream would only handle 4 bits per dot on a 256/320 across mode.

The second limitation was the number gates on the GIME design. There was
only so much money could be spent on the manufacturing, so limits that
size of the GIME.  But the other limit was thermal design power (TDP) of
the chip.  As you know, the GIME runs a bit on the warm size.

The 64 color limit came from the 6-bit color palette registers.  But why
not 8-bit for 256 colors?  Once again, it comes the the limit of the
number of gates on the GIME.  There was no room on it for another 32
bits of storage.  (2 Bits * 16 palettes.)

As for the infamous 256 color mode of the GIME, it was part of the GIME
design at one time along with 256 color (8-bit) palettes. When they
found that the palettes needed to be dropped to just 6-bit (64 colors),
the Direct (256) color mode was dropped too. (Along with the output DAC
going from 8 to 6 bits.) I never received any per-production GIME chip
that had 8-bit palettes nor direct color mode.

The only CoCo 3 in the wild that may (but unlikely) have the 256 color
direct mode is the per-production board that Al Huffman saved from
Microware's house cleaning.

Remember, this 256 color mode was not every useful since it was 160/128
blocks (dots) across.  That's right, it would have been a very low res
screen.  (There is that memory bandwidth limitation again.)

Steve