[Coco] Weird problem with Floppy drive

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Aug 31 19:00:26 EDT 2013

On Saturday 31 August 2013 18:38:00 Brian Goers did opine:

> Has anyone seen a problem like this?
>
> I checked a dual floppy drive and under RSDOS I could DSKINI0, DSKINI1,
> copy a file drive 0 to 1 or 1 to 0, Backup both ways also. But under
> OS-9 I the drive 0 would not boot.
> I found the disk with *.bas and did a drive RPM test. Drive 0 was 296.4
> and Drive 1 301.3.
>
> After adjusting dive 0 to 300.3 everything works fine.
>
> So is RSDOS more tolerant of the disk speed?

Brian, I would not think that a 3.6 rpm (1.2%) error would be sufficient to
bother it.  I once had a drive that turned 360, and in testing, I found the
format (it failed on the first track) but the only reason it failed was
that at 360 rpm, it had  turned enough at the end of the track write, that
it over-wrote the beginning of the same track.  It was one of those 1.2 meg
drives.  But I found the jumper that slowed it down to 300 and then it was
fine.  I had by accident, bought a box of "QD" disks which purported of
have a very hard magnetic coating, had an extra notch, and that was the
only drive that wrote them strong enough to last,  any of my other 80 track
drives would write a track that faded away in 20 minutes on those QD
diskettes.

Slow by that amount (and I'd trust the strobe sticker on the bottom of the
spindle a lot farther than any disk program) should be a total never mind.
However, the early controller might get a bit funkity if the head is dirty
& has low output, or is about finished/worn out, and its tuning pot needs a
tweak.

I think that needs an oscilloscope to adjust that correctly, so says my
common sense but check the manual, they may know a secret I don't remember
since I have one, but its never been in the MPI to test.  I bought it in
1990 or so thinking hi-density mod & then miss-laid my round tuit & haven't
managed to find it again.