[Coco] How to generate BASIC line pointers ?

Johann Klasek johann+coco at klasek.at
Wed Aug 28 12:06:05 EDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 05:24:28PM +0200, Jens wrote:
> Am 28.08.2013 17:10, schrieb Johann Klasek:
> >>For Color Basic on the COCO, the line pointers in a saved basic program
> >>are ignored because the program may not load to the same address it was
> >>saved from. Instead, after the program loads, it scans the program and
> >>recalculates all the pointers. As long as the pointer isn't zero, it
> >>probably doesn't matter much what it is in that case.
> >
> >You are right, other Basics with MS roots do the same (CBM Basic variants).
>
> Why are the line pointers exist in the WAVE created with CSAVE ?
> Because it's a simple dump of the RAM and it's easier to leave the
> information in the stream as strip it away?

Yes, just a simple dump of RAM. That's also necessary if want to do a verify
between the RAM and medium image easily. ;)

For just the purpose of transfer the link information it seems not
necessary.

> So i can just insert 0x0 as line pointer?
>
> And what's about "machine code starting address" and "machine code loading
> address" ?

I think, these have to be provided using parameters or reasonable default values
(which must not harm the system).

Johann