[Coco] How to generate BASIC line pointers ?

Johann Klasek johann+coco at klasek.at
Wed Aug 28 10:20:52 EDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 03:48:51PM +0200, CoCoList at jensdiemer.de wrote:

> I'm work on a new converter for converting Dragon WAVE files into ASCII
> files.
[..]
Great!

> One question is, how to build the line pointers? It's named "PTR_NEXT_LINE"
> here:
> 	http://dragon32.info/info/basicfmt.html

> """
> PTR_NEXT_LINE is the memory address of the next line (should be the byte
>   after the $00 delimiter.)
> """
>
> Anyone knows how to build the line pointer if the BASIC code only exist as
> plaintext ASCII ?

You have to assume some initial starting address for the tokenized BASIC code.
Walk on with this value to build the link list.
It would be make sense to provide a parameter to override the default.

> Next question are the "machine code starting address" and "machine code
>
> 	http://www.cs.unc.edu/~yakowenk/coco/text/tapeformat.html

The converter program need to get some clue about the starting address, e.g
by means of a parameter value.

Johann