[Coco] Introduction, cartridge slot proto boards, J&M controllers, and EDTASM pak.

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Fri Aug 23 14:37:16 EDT 2013

On Aug 23, 2013, at 10:17 , Christopher Smith <csmith at wolfram.com> wrote:
> If we want to copy a disk on which basic can't get at the files -- one from OS-9 for example -- are we out of luck because the floppy can't be above ID 3?  I suppose it may be possible to write some code that would load a few kilobytes of data into RAM from the disk, driveoff, and write them back out to the correct place.  It would take several cycles to duplicate an entire image.  Is this doable?  I'm digressing a bit here, but you've just provided the closest thing I currently have to an answer to a question I've been asking people for months. :)

Is there a pre-existing program for the CoCo that performs a sector-by-sector copy between two floppies without paying attention to filesystem format? This would probably only work on 35 track, non-copy-protected disks that use the same sector format as RS-DOS, but it should allow duplicating a virtual disk onto a real one as long as the virtual one meets those criteria.

Does the BACKUP command do that, or does it care about the filesystem format?

If such a program isn't already written, I think it may be easy to do in basic using DSKI$ and DSKO$?

I ordered a pile of DIN connectors, and I may be able to try out DriveWire this weekend.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/